What Are Your Options When a Relative Leaves You Their House in Their Will?

A new home is usually a benefit for the family, especially if it’s a home that offers more space and one that has a bit of history inside the walls. When you receive that home because it’s left to you in a will, it can sometimes make taking over that home bittersweet. You don’t want to have to say good-bye to the person who died, but you also want to keep the memory of that person alive by maintaining the house. Whether you want to live in the home or not, there are a few options that you have that you can think about so that you make the right decision.

Your New Home

If no one else is listed in the will with the receipt of the home, then you can live there. You do have to think about the taxes that need to be paid and the upkeep, but you won’t have to worry about a mortgage payment or rent that needs to be paid out each month. When you live in a home that a relative or even a close friend has left for you, there are often memories that will remain, but you can design the home to cherish those memories while still making it your own.


In the event that you don’t need or want the home and there’s no one else who wants it, then your best option is to sell the house. You can pay off any taxes owed or any bills that were left behind, keeping the remaining money so that you can take care of your own family. It’s best to talk to an attorney or a property settlement agent, like those at KDD Conveyancing Services, to find out exactly how to handle the sale of the home as you want to make sure the paperwork is completed properly.

Renting To Someone Else

One of the options that you have is to see the home as an investment. You can rent the home to someone else, but if you do, you need to make sure the home is taken care of in the way of keeping it clean and maintained. You’re responsible as a landlord to fix the things that are wrong with it and to find someone who won’t destroy the inside. The rent you receive can be used to pay your own bills or to maintain the home.

Offer It to Family

Talk to family members to see if they would want the home. Speak with an attorney to find out how to get the paperwork changed so that your name isn’t involved if there is someone else who would need or want the house more than you. This might be a good option if there is a sibling or someone close to the deceased who has ties to the home.

When you’re left any kind of real estate after someone passes away, there are options to consider instead of just living in the house. You can sell it to get the money or even give it to someone else. Take the time to think about what you want to do because once the papers are signed, it will be hard to change everything back.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *